It's all...
Call us NOW. We can guide you through a successful adoption.

Contact Us

International Adoption

Recognizing that the child… should grow up in a family environment, in an atmosphere of happiness, love and understanding.

— Hague Adoption Convention, Preamble.

We recommend that before you proceed with a foreign adoption that you first consult with us at The Adoption Law Firm.
Adopting a child from a foreign country can be extremely satisfying and rewarding, but it also can be very challenging and confusing. When adopting a child from another country, it is critical that you not only educate yourself on the foreign country’s adoption process, eligibility requirements, adoption statistics, and the general process of an international adoption and immigration related issues, but it is also cricital that you find out as much as you can about the adoption agency you elect to work with.

Re-Adopting vs. Registration of a Foreign Adoption in Utah

Depending upon how things are done and the facts and circumstances of the case, a person who adopts a child in a foreign country may not have to “re-adopt” the child when he/she is brought back to Utah. At the Adoption Law Firm, we can help you determine what needs to be done and either help you in the Registration of a Foreign Adoption here in Utah, or if need be, in the re-adoption of the child.

Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. State Department

The Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. State Department is a great source of information for international adoptions, and a must read for anyone who is considering becoming an adoptive parent, already in the process of adopting, or just interested in learning more. You can visit the Department’s website by going to: .

Adoption “Alerts & Notices” issued by the U.S. State Department

While you are going through the foreign adoption process, be sure to visit the aforementioned U.S. State Department’s website on a regular basis as the Department of State issues Adoption “Alerts & Notices” that you will want to be aware of. The alerts are issued to caution American citizens about adopting from a certain country. Adoption Alerts may be issued to give notice that a country has suspended adoptions or that the United States cannot process adoptions from that country. They may also inform prospective adoptive parents and adoption service providers about countries not compliant with the Hague Adoption Convention. Finally, the Department of State issues Adoption Notices to inform American citizen prospective adoptive parents and U.S. adoption service providers about important, on-the-ground developments in intercountry adoption from a specific country. We suggest that you bookmark this link and refer to it often…

U.S. Visa For Your Child- Immigrant Visa

Children adopted from other countries must first obtain a U.S. visa before they can travel or move to the United States. Visas are issued at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the foreign country where a child resides. Since a child being adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen parent(s) will usually be brought to live in the United States, that child will need an immigrant visa.

Acquiring U.S. Citizenship for your Child- the “Child Citizenship Act”

It is important to ensure that your adopted child becomes a U.S. citizen. If you postpone documenting or obtaining your child’s citizenship, later he or she may have difficulty getting college scholarships, working legally, voting, and enjoying other rights and privileges. In some cases, the child might even be subject to deportation. Act now to safeguard your child’s rights and future.
The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 was designed to make acquisition of U.S. citizenship easier and to eliminate extra steps and costs. For more information please visit this webpage:
You will want to also visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ website at or call them at 800-375-5283 for specific information on immigration in relationship to adoption.